When the Autism Super Mom Gets Depressed

There is a stigma around depression. A really, really ugly one. And I think there’s especially a stigma around mothers who have depression. If you’re depressed, you’re weak. Broken. You are medicated. You cry a lot. You sleep a lot.

This isn’t true. At least not for me.

I have a wonderful life. Two beautiful children. Three wild dogs. A wonderful and supportive partner. A beautiful home.

I’m not weak. I am strong. I am freakishly independent. And I am not broken…at least not completely. I am not medicated. And on a humorous note…I rarely sleep.

In saying all that….

My six year old son has severe, nonverbal Autism. It’s the kind of Autism that no one talks about. The kind that isolates families. The kind that doesn’t sleep. The kind that forces me to fight for every possible service and basic right. The kind that completely and utterly depletes me. The kind that is heartbreaking.

Some days I am amazed that I still have a job. I am amazed that I shower and wear makeup. I am amazed that I still smile.

I can say that I am heartbroken. I love my son more than life. He is absolutely amazing. I am sad though. He has never spoke to me. Or played a game with me. He has never pooped on the toilet. He has never dressed himself.

My life is hard. I am not complaining in anyway. Everything I say is factual.

I just came out of an extremely low few days. Sadness is not an accurate description. I would say I was depressed. Although the old saying is…’if you can ask if you’re depressed than you probably aren’t.’

It usually centers on Cooper’s health. His history involves many years of chronic ear infections and severe constipation. Cooper’s pain tolerance is so high that his pain manifests in him not sleeping, eating, and eventually hitting and aggression. If these behaviors start, it’s a puzzle to fix him. And doctors and yelling and begging. And me saying the sentence, “Quality of Life” so many times I could barf.

I have a child in pain and I can’t fix him. That’s heavy. Then add in no sleep. Teachers and therapists telling me he’s acting different. The pressure is on.

And I love him so unbelievably much.

Then I start to spiral.

I’m a ridiculously strong mother of a severely autistic child and I get so depressed that sometimes I can’t see straight. Or think straight. I push every single person away from me. I become a martyr that will save my child. And protect him.

And oh my God is that lonely. There are days when I can’t stop thinking about how I’m going to die alone caring for this boy.

As mothers, we’re supposed to be invincible. As a caregiver, it’s even harder.

I was given a battle in the form of a child. A fight that I didn’t ask for.  A fight that I will fight until the day I die.

And in the process, I lost who I was and a whole lot of hope and sanity.

I believe I went a little crazy. I sat across from Cooper’s dad yesterday and apologized for being heartbroken. And for fighting this fight in this way. It’s the only way I know how to do it. And I apologized for not being strong enough. For being broken.

I’m not a doctor or a therapist. I’m not an expert in autism. I wasn’t given a special class on how to handle autism. I was thrown into it. And I’m doing the best I can. And sometimes maybe I come onto strong. Or from the wrong angle. Or maybe too aggressively. But it’s the only way I know how to be.

Caregiving for a special needs child has given me a depression I don’t want to admit is real. Because if I do, I’m showing a weakness I’m not allowed to have. In a way, I’m admitting how hard it is.

We don’t have time to be sad. We don’t have time to get help. We give so much of ourselves to these little humans and to our jobs and spouses that we couldn’t possibly take a moment to be sad.

Caregivers are seen as strong. As fighters. As invincible.

The funny part is a true caregiver doesn’t have time to seek out counseling. I’m often asked by people who truly care about me how I’m handling Cooper’s diagnosis.

I don’t have an answer.

I survive mostly. Every few days, there’s a new behavior. A new appointment. A new form to complete.

But God I am sad.

I am so sad. There are days and weeks where I’m fine. There are days and weeks where it’s hard for me to get out of bed. But thankfully I have two little boys that need me to get up.

There are times where I can’t hear another child’s voice. Countless nights where I dream of him talking.  Times when I agonize over Cooper and all the things he’ll never do. Times where I will actually rip up paperwork and say F*ck it.

There are minutes where I stare at Cooper and wonder what he’s thinking. How I would do anything or give anything for him to talk to me. Engage with me.

There are times when I’m changing my almost six-year-old’s diaper and I tell myself I’m a failure. I will get poop on my hands. And poop on my floor. And more recently poop on my bedding…three nights in a row.

There are times when I need a break from Autism. And there are people who have made me feel weak because of that.

They are assholes.

There are times when I’ve blamed God. I’m so unbelievably angry that he gave me this child. What did I do to deserve this? Why me? Why my family? I am working on the God thing. I am. It’s coming along.

There are days when I break down and cry and wonder how I am going to help this kid. How am I going to know if he’s in pain? How do I get doctors and therapists to listen to me?

There are days when I blame all the family and friends who don’t help Cooper. Who don’t take the time to get to know him. They are also assholes. And that’s part of the journey. Recognizing that not everyone can be part of my autistic kid’s life.

Blah, blah, blah.

Depression is real.

Recognizing depression is good. And being a caregiver is so hard. It makes me feel invisible. I guess that’s why I write. I need someone to know what I’m doing for this little boy. Not to get a thank you or a pat on the back. I just need someone to know how hard it is to keep going every single day when all I want to do is give up.

I don’t have time for therapy. And I don’t need medication. But as a caregiver, I need to stop being so hard on myself. I need to take a break once a while. And admit when I’m heartbroken.

I admitted it yesterday to a very important person. He held my hand, told me I was doing a great job, and I immediately felt better. The weight had been lifted a little.

I’m not sure if the depression will ever go away. To be honest, I wonder if it’ll get worse as Cooper gets older.

The milestones are only getting bigger. Who knows? Only time will tell I guess.

38 comments
Prev post: When Does Parenting An Autistic Child Get Easier?Next post: Mason’s Yellow Brick Road

Comments

• Michelle Thomas

March 28, 2017 at 9:00 pm

I have felt, do feel everything you are feeling. My husband feels it too. I'm sending you so many hugs. You need a girl's day […] Read MoreI have felt, do feel everything you are feeling. My husband feels it too. I'm sending you so many hugs. You need a girl's day out. Get a sitter and do something for you. I know it's not easy, but if you have anyone at all willing, do it. You need it. No judgement here, but fixing that God thing will bring you more encouragement than anyone or anything. God has a wonderful purpose for you, for Cooper, for your family. I'm following you, just started, the main reason is to offer you hope and encouragement and to tell you, you are not alone. Read Less

• Kvh
      to Michelle Thomas

August 26, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Tears!!! Thank you for being my thoughts on paper, I appreciate you!!!

• Juju
        to Kvh

September 20, 2017 at 2:57 pm

I understand totally. And the journey will get a little easier. My son is 14 it has gotten a tad easy because i dont care […] Read MoreI understand totally. And the journey will get a little easier. My son is 14 it has gotten a tad easy because i dont care what others think strangers or family when he has melt downs. I only have GOD ,my mom and stepdad who has helped me his dad abandoned him when he was diagnosed at 3. I have no other physical support. I am a college student and i work fulltime no childsupport as of march 17. Depression, anxiety,migraines and ive been ceilbate,no dating or sex of any kind since "06". Im so lonely but i have given up all hope of ever dating. But i will still keep myself up to keep up with my soon he is also adhd,expressive speech and language delay ,global delays with autism,gi problems. hang in there your boys are beautiful and you look great despite your challenges. Read Less

• Missy

March 30, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I get it. I felt like I was reading a part of my life in this(the depression). Although I come from a totally different perspective […] Read MoreI get it. I felt like I was reading a part of my life in this(the depression). Although I come from a totally different perspective as I have a medically complex child the end result is the same. Nobody can ever understand it unless they have lived it. It's the loneliest existence in the world. If you ever want to chat, vent, anything please reach out to me. Because I understand. My little girl who is 12, has had everything taken from her. She's got a rare disorder that we have to travel 750 miles to see her specialists. She had brain surgery and spent almost two months on hospital with complications. Because she is no longer able to do the things she could everyone has abandoned her as a friend. God has a plan for our kids. I hold on to that hope. Praying for you and Cooper. I'm always hear to listen. Read Less

• Shelley

April 8, 2017 at 1:15 am

I love that you share your story and that you are so raw and real. There is nothing quite so heartbreaking and isolating as feeling […] Read MoreI love that you share your story and that you are so raw and real. There is nothing quite so heartbreaking and isolating as feeling like no one understands. Your blog will help so many Moms. When I watched your video where you share your experience with the angry parents who yelled at you in the special needs park, my heart ached for you ...and for me...and for all Mothers who have felt despair over a situation with their kids, and at the same time I felt connected - a kinship if you will, with my fellow Moms who passionately and fiercely love, nurture & protect our kids, then worry that it's not enough. The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those crushed in spirit. Read Less

• Charmaine

April 11, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I so appreciate your honesty. I can relate as I also have a child with autism. I will say that the best thing for me […] Read MoreI so appreciate your honesty. I can relate as I also have a child with autism. I will say that the best thing for me was to seek therapy. I only see a therapist once a month or so. But, it has changed my viewpoint and lifted me from a dark place. I always said that I had no time to see a therapist and that I needed to prioritize my son's appointments but then my husband's job allowed him to come home early a couple days per week, giving me a window of time. I encourage you to find an hour per month to talk to a professional. I still spiral at times but not as frequently. It can also take a few tries before you find the right therapist. I also play(ed) the martyr but making my needs a priority has only benefited my familly. It's hard to explain but I think you should make yourself a priority. It's the only way to sustain this effort over time. Read Less

• Lori

April 14, 2017 at 1:25 am

I too have a son with ASD. I stumbled across your story by accident. I have been really sad, alone and just isolating. […] Read MoreI too have a son with ASD. I stumbled across your story by accident. I have been really sad, alone and just isolating. I am trying to do everything I can within my day and power for my son. I do feel nobody understands, and that the heartbreak can be so overwhelming! I get to the jumping off point in my mind at night late. Being mom consumes me. Thank you for sharing Read Less

• JP
      to Lori

June 3, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Thank you thank you for this article on depression!! Tonight my dear you just saved my life ... I am forever grateful to you! […] Read MoreThank you thank you for this article on depression!! Tonight my dear you just saved my life ... I am forever grateful to you! It is so hard, to know it is someone else out there feeling this way I am able to cope . Thank you for being brace enough to share . Read Less

• Laura Hardin

June 2, 2017 at 9:05 am

I definitely relate!!! I have a 13yo son with autism, ADHD, Tourette's. I have battled anxiety, depression, OCD all of my life. Once my son […] Read MoreI definitely relate!!! I have a 13yo son with autism, ADHD, Tourette's. I have battled anxiety, depression, OCD all of my life. Once my son came along my mental health issues magnified. Staying busy, medication, physical activity, a relationship with God all help me get through this journey. Some days are definitely better than others. I truly 100% adore my son despite his problems. He has taught me so much about love, acceptance, patience, advocating for what's fair. Thank you for sharing this article. It lets me know that there are others going through almost the very same things I do - feeling like I'm a failure, wondering if I'm doing enough and everything I can for my son, depressed, mentally and physically exhausted, neglectful of myself, etc. Please please please try to find some "me" time for yourself. How will you take care of him if you continue to neglect yourself? You have to stay healthy for him. If you ever want to chat, please feel free to email me. Read Less

• Amy

June 14, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Kate, you are a strong person and you are not alone. Your reaction to your situation is normal, but people don't usually talk about […] Read MoreKate, you are a strong person and you are not alone. Your reaction to your situation is normal, but people don't usually talk about it. As a fellow autism mom, I appreciate that you do because of all the other people who feel alone in our life struggles. PLEASE see a therapist! It will be helpful to be able to vent to a professional and maybe get their perspective. In my work, I see many people who feel down due to life's stresses. Counseling really helps a lot of them keep from worsening and it helps them feel better. People are not meant to be isolated from one another but modern society means we don't all live near family and friends and we don't all feel responsibility over our neighbors like we used to. You should at least be able to talk to someone in person if you find a counselor. Read Less

• Gea

July 20, 2017 at 12:50 am

Thanks for being so honest and transparent. I needed to know that i wasn't alone and I hope you know you aren't […] Read MoreThanks for being so honest and transparent. I needed to know that i wasn't alone and I hope you know you aren't either. Blessings and hugs from a fellow autism mama Read Less

• Juliana

July 21, 2017 at 3:15 am

Yes, yes, yes. Reading your words is like hearing my self-talk. Except you are ahead of me in your self-awareness. When 'my Cooper' Julius was […] Read MoreYes, yes, yes. Reading your words is like hearing my self-talk. Except you are ahead of me in your self-awareness. When 'my Cooper' Julius was six I was more confused than you are. So in that way I must say you are doing GREAT. A different kind of great in a different kind of world. But still very respectful stuff. My Julius is now 15.5 years old and despite our (mine and in the last few years his stepdad's) extreme dedication and effort he has now been placed in the care of a disability support organisation . We visit him three times a week, Skype every day... and still try to be strong every day... and cry every day... and despair 'why can't the psychologist get it ?!?'... it is a very tough journey but we DO grow through it more than our peers typically grow through their somewhat 'easier' parenthoods. They wouldn't like hearing this but you and I know what I'm talking about ;-) I remember being most impressed by a documentary on autism called 'Extreme Love'. That's what we feel. That's what we give. And in glimpses that's what we see in our boy's eyes. Do continue to be strong, even when, if you are like me, you wish you could be allowed to be weak. Just for a few days. Much love and best wishes to you and your family from Tasmania, Australia Read Less

• L

July 23, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I am not as strong as you are. I have 2 sons ages 3 (non verbal) and 5 (only repeats words). I'm breaking apart at the […] Read MoreI am not as strong as you are. I have 2 sons ages 3 (non verbal) and 5 (only repeats words). I'm breaking apart at the seams. I do need help. I do need medication. Although I have yet to seek it out. As I'm loosing my shit completely to day, I reach for my phone to Google "Autism and depression" or something of the like...and I stumble upon this. Thank you for your honesty. Thank you for sharing a part of your life. I think reading this has helped me realize how much stronger I need to be. Read Less

• Emma

July 27, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I am completely without words. I am a single mom dealing with my son having autism. It's very hard when teachers or family keep asking […] Read MoreI am completely without words. I am a single mom dealing with my son having autism. It's very hard when teachers or family keep asking does he have a problem, or is it something wrong with him. I can't count how many times I have cried because none of my siblings kids have any disabilities.A lot of them don't understand and I'm tired of explaining especially if I'm not done healing from this. None of them can relate or help. My son also can speak about 5 words and that's it, I barely heard him say mom, it been about two years. I don't know what he's thinking. Is he happy with me or sad I just don't know. Im still trying to seek more help for him. While he have autism, I don't trust no one with him, so having a hard is hard or even a social life. I'm so happy I came across your post. Read Less

• Tracy

July 28, 2017 at 12:10 am

My son is on the Autism Spectrum. I get the depression thing. I like you am not on meds, my sleep is messed up, and […] Read MoreMy son is on the Autism Spectrum. I get the depression thing. I like you am not on meds, my sleep is messed up, and trying to figure out how to help my son consumes my life. I get jealous of parents that complain about their children's mild behavior issues. I always think that they couldn't survive one day in my shoes. I love my son deeply, but I too get depressed. I get overwhelmed. I feel guilty because I think I am not doing enough. I look at him sometimes when he sleeps, and I cry. All I can think is how can I help him. What can I do? How does this get better? I read countless books, we are on a specialized diet that consumes my day with cooking, we attend music therapy, and I am always feeling bad because it is not enough. I can't express to you how much it hurts, but I don't need to express it to you. You get it. I have made peace with God. We talk every day. Talk to Him. It will help. It is okay to tell Him you are angry. It is okay. God bless you. Lord Jesus I pray for Cooper may you help him, and help his amazing mom. Lord help my son too. Please help my son to be healed. You are not alone, and neither am I. Thank you for sharing your life and struggles. Read Less

• Claire Stephen
      to Tracy

October 28, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I feel the same I'm tied so tied .I got 4 half year old with altisic .and a 1 half year old .I feel like […] Read MoreI feel the same I'm tied so tied .I got 4 half year old with altisic .and a 1 half year old .I feel like a prisoner in my own home can't go out unless my mum's with me .I love my kids so much but I hate this life .I wish god didn't give me this life .I'm tied [email protected] Read Less

• A E

August 10, 2017 at 11:09 am

You are describing me, thank you for putting how I feel in written words.. i recently found your blog, you have a beautiful son and […] Read MoreYou are describing me, thank you for putting how I feel in written words.. i recently found your blog, you have a beautiful son and family and your are a great mom, your love for cooper and your family shines through his smile and your writings. I too have an autistic boy, he's 5 plus, minimally verbal mainly in the forms of echolalia, doesn't say mom yet, still in pull ups too, we are working in potty training with small but huge progress. Thank you and keep writing for all of us ❤️ Read Less

• J Gallegos

August 17, 2017 at 3:18 pm

I am so alone in this. I hurt for the same reasons as the words you wrote. My husband is unsupportive. Instead I am provided […] Read MoreI am so alone in this. I hurt for the same reasons as the words you wrote. My husband is unsupportive. Instead I am provided judgments and some responsibility. I have no family that I want included because of substance abuse issues. My son is struggling and my hurt is a crumbling factor in my stregenth. I am so sad, angry with those that look and dare to try and parent my son. I am so tired and drained of not being able to work. How can I when my child is not able to tell me if something was wrong or had happened. Doctors referrals are a huge mess as they don't communicate and are seperate entities. I wake up many days ok and just surviving. Some days I wish to not be here anymore. I get angry at myself and pray for help. It's overwhelming. It's hurting me so much and literally I give give give to keep the family together. Read Less

• Jane
      to J Gallegos

September 13, 2017 at 10:27 pm

You are only human. Moms cannot cure autism, but love does wonders. Let friends, counselors, esp. teachers......help......lean on them. It's OK. […] Read MoreYou are only human. Moms cannot cure autism, but love does wonders. Let friends, counselors, esp. teachers......help......lean on them. It's OK. I have leaned on helpful teachers, and now one is my son's respite care. Don't even think of giving up. Just give out a little grief or let yourself cry....then pamper yourself. You are a beautiful person. I turn to Psalms 23 and Phillipians 4 when I need God to help me. You can do this, and you get wiser with each passing year. God bless. I give you a hug right now. Jane Read Less

• Heather

August 28, 2017 at 7:32 am

Thanks for being so honest. It takes super strength to do the best we can for our kiddos during the times when it's emotionally […] Read MoreThanks for being so honest. It takes super strength to do the best we can for our kiddos during the times when it's emotionally excruciating to carry on. I'm a single mom to 6, 8, and 9 year old kids who are all on the spectrum. It's a shit show some days. Cheers to you for fighting the good fight. Read Less

• Susie

August 28, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I stumbl

• Aimee Sanderson

September 3, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Wow. So powerful. This brought me to tears because I can relate. You are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Kat

September 7, 2017 at 12:18 am

Omg I totally feel everything you wrote. It's so hopeless at times. I wish I could be there for Cooper and you for my little […] Read MoreOmg I totally feel everything you wrote. It's so hopeless at times. I wish I could be there for Cooper and you for my little boy Jake. Jake is 3 yo and we are doing everything we can to help him but not seeing much progress especially the language and following instructions part. Not sure about your husband but mine is quite annoying to say the least. With Jake's situation plus our other 1 yo son he would still spend a lot of time in the bathroom or on his phone or would come home late from work often. I don't know I feel so overwhelmed and hopeless about Jake's condition at times. I love him so much so it hurts deeply. I at times feel suicidal, want to leave my husband, or simply have an affair just to get back at life. But of course I'd not do none of that because I love my kids so much. But still I feel irritable, hopeless, and suicidal at times. Hang in there with me' let's keep fighting this battle with faith in God, love for our children, and compassion on ourselves first and for most. Love you and your boys mamma! Read Less

• MaryBeth

September 10, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Hi sorry for your troubles i just have an idea that works for myself when required for one of your problems - enemas - […] Read MoreHi sorry for your troubles i just have an idea that works for myself when required for one of your problems - enemas - it all comes out where and when you decide. Actually sounds gross but cleaner once you get the hang of it. Hope this could help a little. Read Less

• MaryBeth
      to MaryBeth

September 10, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Sorry kids have to sit still for that!! I hadn't thought much

• Jane

September 13, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I have been in various states of depression over my ASD son also. I do have respite care, get counseling, and take medication. […] Read MoreI have been in various states of depression over my ASD son also. I do have respite care, get counseling, and take medication. I go after every state and federal funded program for him in my state. I know how it feels.....the envy of other friend's children, and the loneliness and the worrying over their future is debilitating. Support groups exist for depression and for special needs moms. You have to force yourself to care about you too. Thankyou for your honesty. It has helped me realize how garden this life can be. But, the autistic are honest, sweet, loving individuals. In a lot of ways, I prefer my son's personality to many cruel boys his age. There must be a place in this world and people's hearts for the autistic. Keep the hope and the love for him, and you can't go wrong. Much love to you, Jane. Read Less

• Jane

September 13, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Sorry for the typo's ........how hard this life......not how garden this life!

• Lost in translation

September 19, 2017 at 11:55 am

I'm right here with all of you. Severely autistic 9 year old plus two younger ones (what was I thinking having more kids). Because of […] Read MoreI'm right here with all of you. Severely autistic 9 year old plus two younger ones (what was I thinking having more kids). Because of how Medicaid works or doesn't work in my state, our option to get therapy for our son was to divorce so we could income-qualify or re-enlist in the military so the federal government would pay for it. We chose to re-enlist. But honestly I feel too old for this lifestyle. The moving process has been extremely stressful, we still have an empty house to sell, and the endless amounts of intake forms, evaluations, and appointments we went through for his initial diagnosis have only started over again. I'm overwhelmed. I'm depressed. I have to see a counselor because I'm losing it. All of my kids will have to come with me to that appointment and I'm dreading it. Taking these screaming, crying, out of control kids into a military building full of uniformed personnel is so embarrassing, but I need medication before I drive off a cliff. Read Less

• Cindy Wilcox

September 22, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Thank you for echoing my feelings and experiences here. It helps to know I'm not alone

• Kay

September 27, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Thank you for this. I needed to read it today. We finally went for testing today and while he may get the help he needs, […] Read MoreThank you for this. I needed to read it today. We finally went for testing today and while he may get the help he needs, the preschool he currently attends may no longer allow him to attend because they personally do not provide them. After months of therapy and finally getting him to a point that resembles being potty trained, I now face him losing this routine he has come to love and enjoy. I know that there are others who have it so much harder than what we do, but I've allowed myself tonight to cry and be annoyed. Tomorrow I will wake up and continue to do what I have done for nearly 5 years: give my child 100%. Read Less

• Mir

October 25, 2017 at 8:38 am

You’ve done your life’s work with this article alone, let alone the behemoth efforts for your son and family. It’s really touched me and I […] Read MoreYou’ve done your life’s work with this article alone, let alone the behemoth efforts for your son and family. It’s really touched me and I know I am not alone. Read Less

• Tammie

October 29, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Supremely appreciative of your honest, well written feelings. I am the parent of a 6 year old boy with autism and 10 year old […] Read MoreSupremely appreciative of your honest, well written feelings. I am the parent of a 6 year old boy with autism and 10 year old girl with down syndrome. I have felt everything you described....and I so get the poop thing. Love the irony of the people who need therapy not having time for therapy. That is so true for every special needs mom! Love your writing. Please keep writing! Read Less

• Melissa

November 6, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Very relatable for me too. Blah.

• Judith

November 12, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Thank you for sharing your hardship and helping others to consider how hard it is to raise a child with special needs! Been batteling […] Read MoreThank you for sharing your hardship and helping others to consider how hard it is to raise a child with special needs! Been batteling with depression from it... Read Less

• Tracey

November 19, 2017 at 11:03 am

You are wonderful. You are doing the very best that you can, that’s all we can do. Cooper knows it, it though he may […] Read MoreYou are wonderful. You are doing the very best that you can, that’s all we can do. Cooper knows it, it though he may not be able to verbalise it. No one can really appreciate the struggle apart from other parents of ASD children. I have read hundreds of articles about coping with autism and yours is by far the one that has resonated with me the most. Sometimes I go to bed thinking I can’t take anymore, but then I get up the next day and do it all again. I blamed God too. Keep your head held high and recognise that you are a fantastic Mum to your boys and I know that you will keep on going, even through the toughest days. We are all with you. Read Less

• RJ

December 8, 2017 at 10:14 am

My heart is heavy reading your words. Thoughts I won’t allow myself to think, but feelings all too familiar. In this moment, you are a […] Read MoreMy heart is heavy reading your words. Thoughts I won’t allow myself to think, but feelings all too familiar. In this moment, you are a voice for many Mamas of Autism. ❤️ Read Less

• PH

December 9, 2017 at 12:18 am

This article echoes my sentiments. Thank you for sharing. Past few days haven't been easy. Reading this brought tears to me and somehow I […] Read MoreThis article echoes my sentiments. Thank you for sharing. Past few days haven't been easy. Reading this brought tears to me and somehow I felt a little better after that. Read Less

• Lory

December 11, 2017 at 12:48 am

I’m in tears you described my pain said my words of my struggle with my son. I feel so alone with dealing with his autism. […] Read MoreI’m in tears you described my pain said my words of my struggle with my son. I feel so alone with dealing with his autism. Thank you for writing this I know I’m not alone. Read Less