It Is What It Is.

a4298700fe92837a57a3f4231cb8cb54Cooper had an amazing speech appointment today. To put it honestly, he was perfect. And that is something I don’t get to say all the time. He played, giggled, flirted, vocalized and¬†interacted. He did it all and he had a smile on his face the whole time. I was riding high. I was even relaxed and enjoying myself.

And then his therapist said something that was supposed to make me feel better. At least I think that’s what she was doing. She said, “my boss wants me to diagnose Cooper with autism and I won’t. I’ve been doing this for 20 years and I don’t believe he is autistic. So I am going to focus on treatment and not a diagnosis.”

What! Wait! Hold the phone. How did this just happen? How did we get here again? We’ve met your boss in the waiting room a total of 5 freaking times! How can she diagnose him without even spending time with him?

His therapist then went onto say she worked with a little boy just like Cooper and at age 5 he started talking and hasn’t looked back. At age 5 all of the pieces came together.

And just like that I was dropped down another notch. I know that story is supposed to give me hope but it doesn’t. It makes me sad. I can’t do this for another year and half.

I guess what I am trying to say is maybe I need to stop caring about these other stories. Maybe I just need to focus on Cooper and his story. Life is too short to always be carrying this worry and anger with me. I could spend all day stewing about his therapists’ boss…but what would that really get me?

I spoke with someone two years ago after my dog died. I was so sad and she gave me the most simple advice that I think about a lot.

It is what it is. You can’t change it. Simply put, you are sad and you are going to be for a while. Except it. It is what it is.

Prev post: Super Cooper is Growing UpNext post: Finding Cooper

Comments

• mewhoami

February 11, 2014 at 5:33 pm

This makes me really like his therapist. She's putting her foot down. Diagnosing kids with autism has become the 'popular' thing to do. It's highly […] Read MoreThis makes me really like his therapist. She's putting her foot down. Diagnosing kids with autism has become the 'popular' thing to do. It's highly frustrating because kids who should never be classified as autistic are having labels put on them. I agree with what you said about other peoples' stories. Cooper is Cooper. His story is his story. He is unique and his needs are unique. How he will progress in life has nothing to do with the other children. He is his own person and can accomplish anything - especially with a good parent like you. Read Less

• findingcoopersvoice
    to mewhoami

February 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm

You just made my day. Thank you for this comment. I just want to know how long is this going to chase us around? I […] Read MoreYou just made my day. Thank you for this comment. I just want to know how long is this going to chase us around? I am so tired by all of it. I see improvements and hear good news and then one bad thing wipes us down again. Anyhow, thanks! Your comment is so sweet. Read Less

• Carolyn

February 11, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I'm glad your SLP isn't trying to diagnose Cooper. Who cares what his "label" is? Therapy should always target a child's individualized needs and not […] Read MoreI'm glad your SLP isn't trying to diagnose Cooper. Who cares what his "label" is? Therapy should always target a child's individualized needs and not their diagnosis. You've got a keeper! Side note: not sure what your state regs are, but in NY as an SLP I cannot give a diagnosis of Autism- that can only be done through a comprehensive evaluation by a developmental pediatrician or sometimes a neurologist/psychiatrist specializing in children. Read Less

• A Miracle In the Works

February 12, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I completely understand your feelings. It is what it is. You're amazing and what you are doing for Cooper is what he needs but it […] Read MoreI completely understand your feelings. It is what it is. You're amazing and what you are doing for Cooper is what he needs but it is exhausting as a parent especially because you just want him to be fine. Hang in there!! Read Less

• Thanks! Taking it day by day!

• findingcoopersvoice
    to Carolyn

February 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Hi there, Good to know! Thank you. She really is a keeper. The key throughout this whole process has been finding great people that are […] Read MoreHi there, Good to know! Thank you. She really is a keeper. The key throughout this whole process has been finding great people that are focused on helping Cooper. It's been amazing. Read Less

• marzz
    to mewhoami

April 5, 2015 at 8:25 pm

At this stage my son was exactly like your son,I consulted many specialist and none of them labeled my son .He has improved so much,he […] Read MoreAt this stage my son was exactly like your son,I consulted many specialist and none of them labeled my son .He has improved so much,he is 4.5 now .Very obedient,poty trained,loving,no more sensory issues,he is on single words and jargoning.Academically improving a lot.And I would have never accepted autism diagnose on quirks tantrums base.my kid has MERLD. Read Less

• April Ignacio

March 30, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Everyday I tell myself 'it is what it is'

Join Coop’s Troop
Join Coop’s Troop

Become a Supporter of Finding Cooper's Voice and join our online community, Coop's Troop. Membership includes Facebook Lives with our family, giveaways and more.
JOIN NOW

Finding Cooper's Voice is a safe, humorous, caring and honest place where you can celebrate the unique challenges of parenting a special needs child. Because you're never alone in the struggles you face. And once you find your people, your allies, your village....all the challenges and struggles will seem just a little bit easier. Welcome to my page!

SHOP OUR SHIRTS